Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

On Shatner's Desertion....

Every morning I get up, drink a giant glass of water, make breakfast for my daughter, then grab a cup of coffee and a shake or oatmeal for myself and take a little time to clear my Facebook notifications and browse my Twitter feed. This morning I was not prepared for what I saw.



WHAT?!!!

I couldn't quite comprehend this! Mr. Shatner was a PROLIFIC tweeter. He also interacted with fans. He promoted the hell out of his numerous projects and appearances on Twitter. I wouldn't have known about 90% of his stuff without it!

I screen-capped his tweets in my Twitter app because when I tried to favorite them I got an error message saying, "Sorry, that page does not exist."


Funny, by deleting his account almost immediately after posting that he was leaving, most of his 1,786.429 followers never got to see his farewell. Only a few of us saw it none of us know the reasons why.

I checked his Facebook page and there hasn't been an update in almost a year and there is nothing from him on the WilliamShatner.com Group page there.  I checked his website and there hasn't been a blog post since March 4th. 

I felt enormously sad for a little while. Like there was a big hole in my Twitter that nothing could fill. How are we going to know what weird national holidays are coming up? I worried that when he actually dies in real life that I wouldn't survive the news. 

Then I got real. Yes, I'll miss Mr. Shatner on my timeline, but I won't crawl under the covers and drink myself into numbness. After all, Betty White just posted a hilarious tweet! And my paltry 2.157 followers need me! I've still got so much to tweet for!

For my last words on this I leave you with my current G+ and Facebook status:

Fast tracking the 5 stages of grief so I can get on with my life. 
Stage 1: NO!!! It can't be! ::checks Shatner's blog and Facebook page
Stage 2: WTF Bill! You just turn your back and walk out on 1,786,429 of us without an explanation?!!!
Stage 3: OK, Mr Shatner, if you come back I promise not to reply to any of your tweets.
Stage 4: I don't think I can face the day. Maybe I should delete all my social media, too. What's the point? I don't even want to watch Star Trek. :'-(
Stage 5: OK I'm over it. At least Betty White is still tweeting.

What about the Common People, Bill?

No comments:

Post a Comment